ABOLITION & EMANCIPATION
Part 4: The Granville Sharp Papers from Gloucestershire Record Office
Part 4 covers the entire collection of original letters and papers of Granville Sharp (1735-1813), the great abolitionist. It contains:
- Material covering the Jonathan Strong case, which established the freedom of slaves in Britain.
- Discussions with William Blackstone concerning the rights of slaves and the duties of ship owners.
- Accounts of Sharp's meetings with Benezet, Clarkson, Macaulay, Wilberforce and other abolitionists.
- Correspondence with Lafayette, Charles James Fox, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington and other key political figures.
- Diaries and Commonplace Books, c1772-c1818.