CHURCH MISSIONARY SOCIETY ARCHIVE
Section III: Central Records
Part 14: CMS Collection of Lives of Missionaries held at the Church Mission Society Library
Part 14 covers biographical material on the Lives of Missionaries with surnames L-Y. It comprises a further 51 biographies. Again, these cover all regions where CMS worked and provide extensive information on the nature of the work and on the local populations.
Missionaries who worked in China, India, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Ceylon, Sudan, Uganda, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and British Guiana are featured here. Some of the interesting figures covered include:
- Dr Duncan Main (missionary in Hangchow, China).
- George Evans Moule (missionary and bishop in China).
- Dr Arthur Neve (medical missionary in Kashmir).
- Rev Thomas Gajetan Ragland (CMS missionary in North Tinnevelly, South India).
- Rev William Armstrong Russell (missionary bishop in North China).
- Rev George Smith (Bishop of Victoria, Hong Kong).
- Rev Henry Townsend (CMS missionary, Abeokuta, West Africa).
- Rev J T Tucker (CMS missionary in Tinnevelly, India).
- Mary Vaughan (missionary in Hangchow, China).
- Rev John James Weitbrecht (CMS missionary at Burdwan, Bengal).
Also included here are the journals kept by James Frederick Schon and Samuel Crowther during the expedition up the Niger in 1841.
There is the story of a school in Kashmir: Fifty Years Against The Stream, covering 1880-1930, with a foreword by Lord Baden Powell. Some notable women are also included such as Edith Warner of the Niger: The Story of Thirty-Three Years of Zealous and Courageous Work Amongst Ibo Girls and Women, with a foreword by the Right Rev Bishop Tugwell.