CHURCH MISSIONARY SOCIETY ARCHIVE
Section IV: Africa Missions
Part 6: Nigeria - Niger, 1857-1882
Ths Part focuses on Nigeria again and provides records of the Niger Mission, 1857-1882, established following Samuel Crowther’s successful private expedition up the River Niger in 1857. The documents comprise:
- A Letter Book for 1858-1882.
- Mission Books for 1857-1880.
- Original Papers, 1857-1880, including Minutes of the Finance Committee and Conference Meetings, as well as a substantial section on Bishop Samuel Crowther. This is followed by material on individual missionaries in an alphabetical sequence.
- Again, these papers have good material on the difficulties experienced in the 1870s and the loss of confidence between Crowther and the CMS Secretaries in London.
- There is excellent coverage of mission work and mission schools.