SCOTTISH MISSIONARY ARCHIVES
Part 1: Church of Scotland Foreign Missions Committee Minutes, 1929-1964
Spanning from November 1900 to April 1964 – from the Victorian era to the postcolonial world – these minutes document the changes in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean that were witnessed by missionaries of the Church of Scotland.
Areas covered in great detail include:
- INDIA: Bengal, Calcutta, Nagpur, Rajputana, Western India.
- CHINA: Manchuria, Ichang.
- AFRICA: Transkei, The Gold Coast, Lovedale, Kafraria, Natal, Old Calabar, the Rhodesian Copper Belt, South Africa.
- THE ISLANDS: Jamaica, Trinidad, Vanuatu, the New Hebrides.
- OTHER: South Arabia, the Eastern Himalayas, Pakistan.
There are records of famine relief in India; of the 1907 earthquake in Jamaica; of persecution in Korea; of mass movements in India from the 1920s; of native uprisings in the 1950s; and of rural reconstruction; as well as regular reports on educational, medical and industrial work.